Monday, June 11, 2007

My Hero

My first recollection of my uncle Heinie was my Mother telling every one he was her favorite Brother. he was very out going, and always seemed to be happy. I was probably seven or eight years old when i was visiting my grand mother. Heinie lived with her. He said " come on kid, were going to work" He drove a truck for the local creamery. He liked to show me around, and tell me all about how butter was made etc. I think I liked him from the very start. He never made fun of the way I stuttered. Once on the truck and out on the road he would light a cigarette on give it to me. The first stop would be the first tavern we came to. Uncle Heinie let me sit at the bar and drink a beer with him. I'm beginning to like him more all the time. It always came with the same admonishment.{Don't tell your mother!!} He needen have told me that. I would have died first. Besides, I never told her anything.
I had very little contact with him, until I was seventeen. I was in the Air Force. When I came home to Davenport my first stop would be the Homestead Tavern. Uncle Heinie was the bar tender. Driving a truck interfered with his drinking. He always was so glad to see me. He told me jokes, and stories, and let me drink free beer. I never forgot how much I liked Heinie.
It was about this period that I decided I wanted to be just like him. I thought he was what every man should be. He was single, but had a nice girl friend. On his day off he went to the ball game. He loved the St' Louis Cards. He could drink all day long for free. He lived in a hotel. Not a rooming house, or a boarding place. When he returned home at night the bed was made and his room was clean. He dressed up in a white shirt and tie every day. When he went out he wore a suit. When I thought about it I realized, He was my Hero. Looking back he was probably the first man I ever liked.