Friday, January 4, 2008

When your brakes fail, aim for something cheap.

Who says no one looks out for grandpa? I just finished the week end at New Paltz. I used my 1998 Chevy Astro van. I was playing the part of Hydraulic Man. We jacked up a structure on M and B's place. had a great time.Used the van to haul material. Drove it all over the place. Then I left for the farm to return to Beaver Meadow. A good four hour trip. Next AM I pack up for my trip back to Jersey. I head for the Cole Hill road. My first stop is to Ron's house to say good bye. On the steepest part of the hill I brake to slow down. Something is wrong. The pedal goes to the floor. I don't slow down.My foot freezes. I'm picking up speed.Gad zooks, no brakes. I have feared this happening all my driving life.But for whatever reason,I have practiced this very event. I pretend I have no brakes and stop with the emergency. I depress it slowly with my left foot. My practice is paying off. The Chevy comes to a dead stop right in front of Rons. He comes out and in a minute or two he tells me the line is broken to the rear wheels. No fluid is left in the reservoir. If the line was going to break, it couldn't have found a better time. I returned home the next day. Safe and sound. With a new hydraulic line. My advise. Learn where the emergency brake is. Try to stop using it. When you're on a lonely road. When you're all alone. Never with Grandpa..........................The "G"