Thursday, January 31, 2008

Racket ball, I think

Reading Katherines blog reminded me of the only time I played racket ball. It was in Cobbleskill NY. I was staying with Joe Corvino. He invited me for a game. I said I'd be glad to play racket ball. What is it? He suspected I had never played. He outfitted me with a racket, and a pair of sneakers. Four sizes too large. We were off for the park. We stood on an asphalt area with lines on it. Facing a concrete wall. Joe gave me a crash course in the rudiments of the game. I hit the first shot against the wall, and fell down. My sneakers were on the other team. After a while I got the hang of it. I could fall down real good. By this time Joe was getting annoyed. He said he would play up front. I was ten feet behind him. He lobbed one against the wall. It bounced attractively in front of me. I knew I could tee off on this one. I swung with all I had. It was a great line drive. It struck the back of Joes head. It made an awful sound. Joe made some sounds that were more awful. I have never played since.