Monday, February 25, 2008

Short Story, small question

Only one time in my life, at least that I recall, I had become a baby sitter. I was about twelve years old. The couple down the street were Ollie and Nova Ziebarth. They owned the Uptown tavern. They had a teen age boy. Donnie. He was wild and unpredictable. Totally irresponsible. Nova thought a lot of me. She did not trust Donnie to care for her four year old little girl. So many times on a Saturday night Ollie and Nova stayed at the tavern. Not coming home until the wee hours. Donnie, myself and four year old Sharon had the house to our selves. It was donny brook from hour one. Running, screaming pillow fights. I was never in control. No one ever controlled Donnie. Many evenings, when exhaustion took over. Sharon was asleep. Donnie was docile, we took over the kitchen. He proudly proclaimed " I know how to bake a cake" Surprisingly enough, He knew and we did. It was called "one two three cake" I can still recall the mixing, baking and eating. And the mess we made. What I can't remember are the ingredients. All I know it was one part this, two parts that, and three parts something else. I have thought about this now and again. I wonder what became of the four of them. More than all else, what were the three ingredients? Perhaps some one who reads this Blog would know. Would you share it with me?