Friday, July 18, 2008

Nothing runs like a deer

My grandson Joey and I were cleaning out the incinerator. I'm always burning. We decided to move a pile of stones laying around the area. Lets put them on the circle of the camp fire, we said. It could use a few more stones. Improve the burning. Fire, fire. And I swear I am not making this up. Joey said, lets do it with the tractor and wagon. The tractor was at the pond.Again, Joey said I'll drive the quad to the pond, return with the John Deere, hook up the wagon, and we're all set. Off he goes.A short time later, I hear the tractor coming down the hill. Then it stops. Quiet. Why? Joey appears. He's walking. " Grandpa can you help me the tractor is stuck". We go to where the sluice pipe runs under the road. I see the tire tracks. John Deere is lying on the slope that leads to to the creek. Five foot off the road, upside down. "Joey, did you go down with it, or did you jump off?" "I went down with it". "Are you hurt" "No". We walk up to the pond. Joe, Sue, and Megan are in the boat. I yell "S O S ". They come. Slightly upset. "Give us a hand, the tractor is stuck" Next scene we are all standing on the road looking down at the over turned vehicle. Some what in a state of shock. Three of us climb down, up right JD. Joe gets the big quad. Pulls it out with a rope. Collective sigh of relief. Joe gets on JD. It starts right up. Some one said we should make a Deere commercial. That night at the camp fire Joey tells us the whole story of how it happened. We all laugh. I love the farm. Never a dull moment.