Monday, May 7, 2007

Water at the Farm

The first few times I remember going Upstate to the Farm water was a little bit of an issue. If I remember correctly, it came from the spring house down by the stream and I guess the pump had to be primed before it would start flowing up to the house.

Getting the water going was a process and Grandpa made sure we were all involved. Cathy was stationed with a timer by an open window to yell down to the stream where Grandpa was at the pump. Lisa, Amy, Katherine, Alex, and myself were positioned at various locations-- exposed pipes, the toilet, the kitchen sink-- to listen for the water. The timer was set and we waited. As soon as we heard water we'd shout to Cathy, who'd yell down to Grandpa, who'd inevitably end up screaming unintelligible and angry things at the pump. Eventually the water would start properly and we'd be in fits of giggles.

It still meant baths in four inches of water, rules about when to flush the toilet, and even once a quick swim and shampoo in the pond at Uncle Joe's request. I love the luxury of fresh hot water on demand when I go to the Farm now, but it was a lot of fun then.